Monday, August 07, 2006

The Stupidity of the Tristan

As the title would imply, I am stupid, or at least prone to bouts of stupidity. I am not so much stupid, more often if I just thought before I did something, perhaps the outcomes would be more in my favour.

Recently I posted a note on my fridge, it wasn't addressed to either of my housemates specifically,

I addressed it as, "To Whom It May Concern" which is official and polite with no intended sarcasm. A term used when addressing an unknown party/person in a certain matter, or to use the other word "concern". Now in this context concern doesn't mean "To cause anxiety or uneasiness in" but means " To engage the attention of" or " To have to do with or relate to" i was seeking the attention of the person who the matter pertained to. Amazing how this simple terminology can cause great angst in a household, simply because it was perceived as sarcasm. Perhaps a deeper understanding of the nuances inherent in the English language could reduce the likelihood that such a misunderstanding could occur.

Moving on... the subject to which the person's attention was required was a matter of kitchen cleanliness. Now I stated that a fridge and a table cannot clean themselves. A genuine statement of fact. The day they can, I will be the happiest man alive. But unfortunately they won't.
Now you wonder, "Why doesn't he just clean them himself?" To be childish, I didn't create the mess. So the one who did should in fact clean their mess. I say this because on several previous occasions I had left dishes undone, not because I was lazy to do them, but simply because I thought I would attend to them later. Sometimes I was pleasently surprised to see them cleaned for me. Sometimes I simply forget that I had put them in the sink in the first place. Usually when my mind is elsewhere. I know forgetfulness is perhaps not quite the excuse that one my age should use however I am prone to it. Anyway as I said I had left some dishes on several occasions in the sink. I understand that my housemates wouldn't be happy washing my plates as well as their own. I understand they aren't my maids. I received a note posted on one particular housemate's door telling me that "We do not have a maid, the dishes don't magically wash themselves" Sarcasm!! OH my what should I do! I apologized to the housemate I liked. She accepted it at the time and life went on. I did not contact the newpapers, I felt there were more important things in life than one person's frustration at there being a few unwashed dishes in the sink. In all honesty I tried not to repeat my mistakes, I washed my plates when I used them from then on... I sometimes washed the cups and the plates of my fellow housemates to return the kindness they have shown me.

And finally I had asked the person who had made the mess and whose identity I still did not know at the time to kindly clean the mess that the fridge and table could not accomplish on their own. I signed my name at the bottom of the message. And posted it on the fridge.

In the morning I woke to find a scathing reply posted on the fridge. There was an expletive in the note and it was addressed to all the occupants of the apartment. There are 3 occupants at this current time, myself included. My housemate saw fit to use vulgar language on the me and the other person who lives here. I could not see how I deserved that. I thought it was alright to leave each other notes in the house as on several occasions prior notes had been left for me.

So I was myself in a foul mood after that, I took my handphone and sent this housemate a text message. It was an idiotic thing to do. I was angry, so what I said was not worded well and in parts just wrong.

So here I am to apologize to the person I had wronged. It was not my intention to hurt your feelings but merely to convey my own. I still think that you did not need to resort to foul language and I apologize for the harsh words I put in that message. I was wrong for resorting to profanity.

I am sorry. Also I care for you more than I can put in words, which makes my actions all the more stupid and unwarranted. I hope you'll forgive me.

And on that note I close this subject. Hopefully never to revisit it.

As a side note to the other "occupant" of the apartment. Thanks for the messages in chinese, they are better! I understand you need to vent your frustrations as well and this way you can do it without offending me. Thank you. I know you have my interests at heart for you know that ignorance is truly bliss and seeing as I don't understand a single character, I can remain blissfully ignorant. Thank you for being so understanding. Oh by the way a friend of mine who can read what you wrote said you need to learn to spell "room" apparently it's incorrect... I didn't know that. But then ignorance is bliss.

In Christ

Tristan D.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home